Dataplanet N.V. doing business as Blue NAP Americas, as the most advanced multi-tenant, carrier-neutral, cloud-neutral, Tier-IV certified data center serving the Pan-Caribbean region, offers Colocation, Private and Public Cloud Services, Professional – and Managed Services, Business Continuity and Office Space services.
This document describes the profile of a Critical Facility Technician with a background in Mechanical Engineering.
The ideal candidate has a solid background in mechanical engineering with experience in commercial and industrial HVAC systems operating in a mission critical environment. Has strong written and oral communication skills and possessed the right profile as described in this job description. The candidate we are looking for is self-motivated, young, dynamic, healthy, and physically in good condition.
Responsible for performing routine facilities maintenance tasks. Coordinate and supervise vendors working on infrastructure systems. Performing hands-on operations and maintenance which includes all physical and administrative operations tasks, service, and maintenance in accordance with Blue NAP Americas processes and procedures to ensure the highest levels of uptime, efficiency, and safety without disruption to the business.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent years of experience and certifications.
- 5+ years of experience in Data Center environment or other mission critical applicable position within the mechanical and electromechanical technology field, preferred.
- Experience with HVAC commercial and industrial equipment and systems, such as: chilled water central plants, direct- and indirect evaporation systems, pumps, fans, air handling units, VFDs, in-row cooling solutions, air distribution methods, and containment methods.
- Data Center environment and/or other mission critical experience, preferred.
- Working knowledge of critical cooling infrastructure within a data center, preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, CMMS, DCIM and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Functional knowledge of Diesel Generators, external fuel- systems and storage, Fire Protection and Alarm systems, BMS, PLC and PID controllers, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Spanish and Dutch.
- Lifting or pushing up to 50 pounds, climb ladder and step ladder, bending at waist, stoop, balance, crawl, sitting, kneeing, laying horizontally, climbing up to 20 feet, walking, etc., are part of the job requirements.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential mechanical and electromechanical projects and products.
- Oversees installation, operation, maintenance and repair to ensure that machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Evaluates mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs.
- The Mechanical Engineer organizes the mechanical and electromechanical infrastructure of the site as a whole to all his abilities and ensures professionalism.
- Performs engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of such equipment as centralized cooling, water and other systems.
- Manage HVAC systems uptime and operational efficiency to the best of his ability.
- Create MOPs (Method of Procedures) and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
Perform periodic technical and quality reviews and testing of existing MOPs, SOPs and EOPs (Emergency Operating Procedures) to ensure that they are mostly up-to-date.
- Coordinate heavily with in-house engineering team across all disciplines to ensure products delivered to operations is streamline and optimized to meet the needs of the business across all functions.
- Coordinate and supervise vendors working on infrastructure systems.
- Confirms system and product capabilities by designing feasibility and testing methods and properties.
- Investigates equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to make recommendations to maintenance staff for improvement.
- Develops mechanical and electromechanical products by studying customer requirements.
- Develops, coordinates, and monitors all aspects of production including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication and operation of product designs.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
- Researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
- Confers with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods.
- Specifies system components.
- Estimates costs and submits bid documents for engineering, construction or extraction projects and prepare contract documents.
- Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment.
- Directs modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering & performance specifications.
- Testing finished- product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly and installation processes.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains Blue NAP reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Keeps equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer’s instructions and established procedures.
- Maintains system and product data base by entering data in to the CMMS
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by management.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Design, implement, maintain, and improve mechanical and electromechanical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
- Plan and implement research methodology and procedures to apply principles of mechanical and electromechanical theory to engineering projects.
- Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed satisfactorily, on time and within budget.
- Develop budgets, estimating labor, material, and construction costs.
- Conduct field surveys and study maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct mechanical system problems.
- Review monthly operating reports for accuracy, completeness, major variances to improve efficiencies.
- Reports to the Facilities Manager.
Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge to apply principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, cooling transfer and materials.
- Knowledge to utilize engineering analysis tools/programs and professional judgment to analyze CFD (computational fluid dynamic) studies, rack layout optimization, psychrometric chart evaluation, etc.
- Working knowledge of psychrometrics, heat transfer fundamentals, humidity control and fluid dynamics.
- Knowledge of industry standards, building codes and safety standards.
- Ability to troubleshoot existing mechanical and electromechanical systems.
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electromechanical systems.
- Flexible to work after hours whenever required, knowing that a data center is an 24/7 service provider business.
- Business Focus.
- Innovative attitude.
- Commercial awareness.
- Problem-solving Ability.
- Quality-of-service Orientation.
- Enthusiasm for your mechanical and electromechanical subjects and up-to-date sector knowledge.
- Planning and organizational skills, such as time and resource allocation.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate in an understandable, polite and friendly manner, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask in a small business environment.
- Team player.